The idea behind this costume came to me sometime last month. I was debating over costume ideas, even thinking of re-wearing my yellow Belle costume (lame, I know), when the idea for my costume hit me! I could still be "Belle" this year, just in a different form!
That's when the idea behind a Provincial/Town Girl Belle costume was born.
To date, this has been my most difficult costume to piece together. For starters, I just couldn't decide on a costume idea this year. I also realize that the costume itself doesn't have very many parts, but do you know how hard it is to match shades of blue?! For about a month, that blue skirt stayed in my purse and came with me everywhere I went, just in case I happened upon dry fit blue shirts! Unfortunately, it's not a perfect match, but it works.
As I've mentioned before, I like my costumes to be functional, runner friendly, and not cost a large amount of money. I'm also fairly crafty (along with my mom's help), so I'm not scared to bust out a needle and thread or my printer!
So, if you're interested in dressing as Provincial/Town Girl Belle, here's where the pieces of my costume came from....
- White undershirt - I had this on hand but it would be easy enough to find at any athletic store. (The top is in 2 parts. I like it this way because the short sleeve shirt can be swapped for a long sleeve shirt in case the weather acts crazy.)
- Blue top - this came from WalMart of all places! My mom had to hem the shirt because it was super long on me.
- Sparkle Athletic skirt - I had this on hand and have worn it for several costumes in the past. I also put it on top of a Running Skirts skirt and pinned it in place.
- White apron - I purchased a painters apron from Michaels, then folded it down and hand stitched it in place to make it a waist apron. I was able to use a coupon for 30% off the apron...bonus!
- Compression socks aren't necessary, but I like to run in them. These blue ones are from Legend Compression Wear and I love them!
- Blue bow for the hair - this bow actually came from the bottom of the blue shirt. My mom had to hem the blue shirt because it was super long, so I created a bow out of the extra material! Hey, it matches!
- Accessories - I've seen this particular Belle costume paired with a book, a basket, or both! (Just make sure whatever accessory you choose is functional for running!)
There you have it...my costume for 2017's Princess Half Marathon! I'm super excited and can't wait to run this Beauty and the Beast themed race dressed as Belle!
If you spot me out there, be sure to say hello! :)
What are your thoughts on costumes for races?