Why do we get injured?
1. Be aware of irritation of weak links.
- The Key Weak Links are body parts where my runners tend to experience injuries: Knees - Feet -Calf - Achilles -Hip - Glute/piriformis/sciaticia
- The body parts that YOU need to be aware of are the sites where you are injured or suffer more aches and pains.
- If you're sensitive to the first indication of irritation in these areas and take immediate action, it's possible to avoid injury. (I love to hear that…just means you have to be careful and not continue running through irritation – don’t be stubborn!)
- Training schedule is too intense-not enough rest between stress.
- Adverse Training Components-speed is too fast or has too much, too soon.
- Running form-too long a stride, forward lean, bouncing too high off the ground.
Top 5 ways to avoid stress buildup-and avoid injuries
1. Take walk breaks more frequently, and run shorter run segments
2. Form: shorter stride, feet low to the ground
3. Slower long runs, with more walk breaks
4. Avoid Stretching
5. Be careful when running speed sessions
I’m going to pay closer attention to my form this afternoon when I go for a run. While “in the zone”, I have a habit of getting comfortable and not paying attention to anything…so yes, I’m definitely going to do do this today!
Interested in running the Jeff Galloway 13.1 in Atlanta? Keep reading!! :)
Register now for the Jeff Galloway 13.1! The 2nd annual half marathon on Dec. 13, 2015 is currently $95. You can sign up with no risk! Take advantage of this low price, and if you can't make it, you can roll into the virtual option with no extra charge!
Disclaimer: As a Jeff Galloway blogger, I’ve been provided with these tips to share with you – no compensation was given in return.